Creating a Facebook event to showcase your organization or business is easy. Getting people to show up is the hard part.
To have an event that is successful you need to use some tactics to get in front of those you want to attend.
For 5 years straight I made monthly Facebook events for my community organization. I had failures and I had success. And, I learned a lot about what works and what doesn’t.
What made people pay attention to and show up to my Facebook events?
A simple process that’s easy to keep up with and will definitely get you results. Use these tips for your business’s next event and you will notice a difference.
Visual Appeal: People “eat” with their eyes. Make your event photo stand out!
– Choose a graphic or picture that reps what the event is about
– Include important information on the picture itself (i.e. FREE to attend, tonight only, Family friendly) Not a ton, but enough to give some important tidbit about the event.
Details, details: Here’s your chance to give all the 411 to your guests. Don’t be like other people and use a link or use the least amount of words possible.
– Utilize the 5 W’s: Who (who is it for, who’s coming), What (what’s happening, something to bring?), When (time & date), Why (what’s the point?), Where (if a secret location then give info about how they will find out where)
Contact Point: There may be people who want to ask a question outside of the event thread or maybe people are asking questions in the discussion and need answers.
– Make sure folks know who to contact for questions
– Have 2 people be contacts (if possible) just in case your event is really popular and could use extra attention
Address and Directions: Make sure people know in advance where your event is happening
Plenty of Advance Notice: Do you like to know about things at the last minute? Neither does anyone else.
– Drop your event and get more attention about 3-4 weeks before the day of the event (enough time for people to plan the date but not forget about it completely)
Start a Discussion: You don’t just want to drop an event and think it will take care of itself, it won’t.
– Break the ice with a poll or a question that has to do with the event
– Let people know about something special that’s happening
Share Like Crazy: If a Facebook Event is created, does anyone see it? If you don’t ask for shares and advertise what you’re doing, no one will pay attention.
– Share like a wild person on your page
– Ask people/friends to share it
Be a Good Host: You wouldn’t invite someone over to your house and not speak to them, would you?
– The host should be posting to the event discussion on a regular basis, this keeps your event coming up in people’s timelines
– Give updates about what’s happening
– Keep folks engaged and keeps them excited about the event
Find Out Where the Cool Kids Are: Have your event “hangout” in other places.
– Post your event on local community pages the audience you want to attend are hanging out on
– Find relevant and likeminded pages to share your events on
Use Messenger to Spread the Word: A useful tool for events. Send it a few days after you posted your event.
– This will make sure people you invite see it (some people pay more attention to messenger than Facebook itself)
Boost, Baby, Boost: Give your event even more life around Facebook.
– Make sure people you want see your event – pay for it
– pick your audience wisely and target them with your event ad (there’s plenty of YouTube videos on how to use Facebook ads)
Now Get Ready for Success!
The next time your business or organization has a function, use Facebook events to get more people to attend.
All your bases will be covered using these easy steps to get butts in the door.
Let me know how it works out for you, I’d love to know!